The Dreamer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fan forum for all thing related to the webcomic The Dreamer by Lora Innes.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Relevant Goings-On

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Relevant Goings-On Empty Relevant Goings-On Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:15 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

We're approaching those famous April dates, and I thought it was worth sharing - if you're in the New England area, Historic Deerfield (MA) is holding its first Patriots Day celebration on Saturday, April 16th from 10am to 4pm. All sorts of demonstrations going on throughout the day, including encampment activities featuring: the Nathan Hale Fife & Drum Corps, Buckland's Artillery, and Knowlton's Rangers! More info here:
http://www.historic-deerfield.org/events/patriots-day-revolutionary-muster-parade

2Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Caera

Caera

Too bad I'm in Texas! All we got here right now is Fiesta, and that's really only in SA-town.

http://Goodreads.com/cethornton

3Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:28 pm

Half Moon

Half Moon

Dang! I've got bowling that day! Sad

http://www.iwritelikekrazy.wordpress.com

4Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

More fun stuff coming up next weekend in Boston. Saturday, June 11th, is Doctor Warren's birthday celebration. Events are going on from 1pm-5pm in the Bunker Hill vicinity. Gardner's Regiment, out of Charlestown, will be performing a wreath-laying ceremony at the monument (possibly twice over the course of the afternoon; haven't got the exact times from them yet); there will also be arms/musket demos, live music, other reenactments, etc. All this in the middle of the Charlestown Open Market, from 10am-3pm (in case you want to shop). And of course, there's the Bunker Hill Day parade on Sunday, June 12th, stepping off at 12:30pm. Just thinking good thoughts for good weather! Very Happy

5Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:23 am

comic-chic

comic-chic

You don't even know how badly I would want to be there for that... Sad

http://www.thedreamercomic.com

6Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 am

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

I think Gardner's regiment is planning to keep it a yearly event - I believe this is the 3rd or 4th year they've done it. So there's hope! You'll get there! Very Happy
The following weekend, on June 18th, they do a graveside ceremony to commemorate Warren's death. I won't be able to make it this time; that's both Father's Day weekend and my parent's anniversary, so I should probably be a dutiful daughter (can't go scooting up to Boston every weekend!). But I really hope to get to that ceremony one of these years. (I envision a bunch of us going up there sometime, with the "fun" culminating in one of the Freedom Trail's Historic Pub Crawl group tours. Think of the fun we'd have, fomenting rebellion...)

7Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:36 pm

18thcenturydreamer

18thcenturydreamer

Aw man! I wish I lived near there! It sounds like so much wicked fun! Too bad I live in South Carolina... Ayuh, I would really enjoy going...If I had a car I would be tempted to drive up there. Oh well, I suppose there is next year. Very Happy We would have fun together! We could go and tour the sites together and be Daughters of Liberty secretly plotting against the redcoats and their nefarious king... Lol.Yup, I can see it now...

8Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

A follow-up to Dr. Warren's birthday celebration... My thoughts for good weather weren't focused enough, obviously, but the participants soldiered on (no pun intended) despite the rain showers. A small contingent of fifers and drummer provided music throughout the afternoon, and Gardner's Regiment managed to provide one demonstration of their muskets, despite a couple of misfirings due to the rain. The Bunker Hill museum saw a lot of business, with people drying off and hitting the restrooms - but also enjoying the displays. (I'd never been there before, and it's quite nice; the lower level has a history of the monument itself, while the story of the battle fills the upper floor with interactive displays.) Just before 4pm, the regiment performed their ceremony in memory of Dr. Warren... and they gave me the honor of laying the flowers! Unfortunately, I wandered off before they headed down to the Warren Tavern; but I have definite plans to return next year and join them in raising a glass to Dr. J.
For those of you interested, I think next year's event will be the weekend of June 9/10 - they try to do it as close to his birthday as possible. I can keep you in the loop.
Photos from this year's event are available on the Gardner's Regiment Facebook page. When you search for them, choose the one with the subheading of "Boston, Massachusetts". That's their active page.

9Relevant Goings-On Empty Re: Relevant Goings-On Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:41 am

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

Big to-do at Old Sturbridge Village next weekend:
http://www.osv.org/activities_events/event_calendar_more.html?ID=503&DateID=1665
(If the link doesn't work, go to their site and check out Redcoats & Rebels.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum