The Dreamer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fan forum for all thing related to the webcomic The Dreamer by Lora Innes.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dreamer Readalikes

+2
cremies
DawnChorus
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dreamer Readalikes Empty Dreamer Readalikes Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

I'd be interested to know what books other people have read (and enjoyed), set specifically during the Dreamer timeperiod. Fiction or factual, biographies, kids' books, other graphic novels/webcomics, whatever!
I'll start by highly recommending the Satucket series by Sally Gunning. So far, it's 3 books long, and all take place in what is now current-day Brewster, Cape Cod. Each book looks at an aspect of women's lives during the pre-Revolutionary colonial period: Widow's War (about a widow, of course); Bound (indentured servitude); and The Rebellion of Jane Clarke (arranged marriages).
The books are so evocative of colonial daily life, and the basic struggles to survive. The first murmurs of rebellion are starting to infiltrate the towns surrounding Boston, and each Satucket woman is faced with the question, "What's in this for me?"

2Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:27 pm

cremies

cremies
Admin

It's not a novel, but it's equally great. It's called The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Colonial America by Dale Taylor. It quite descriptive in what colonial Americans did.

http://humoresques.livejournal.com

3Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:59 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

Ooo, that sounds like a great resource!
A few weeks ago, I went to hear historian Thomas Fleming speak. It's the 50th anniversary of his book about the Battle of Bunker Hill, called Now We Are Enemies. Excellent - reads like fiction. Sweet man, too. He told the audience that he's written a play about Joseph Warren called Death of a Hero (maybe a working title?), and there are plans to do a public reading of it next December (2011) in Boston.

4Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:02 am

MagicCrafter

MagicCrafter

Oh, I've read parts of A Writer's Guide to Colonial America back when I was trying to start a story set during that time period. It was pretty helpful!

5Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 am

18thcenturydreamer

18thcenturydreamer

I have a a lot of books that are great reads, however I shall try to share only a small amount. These books are set in the dreamer time period. Some are fiction, and some are non-fiction, One is Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer, Bunker Hill by Janet Tinney, The Glorious Cause by Jeff Shaara, Saving Becca by Ann Rinaldi, the secret of Sarah Revere by Ann Rinaldi and Nathan Hale by M. William Phelps. If anyone wants a complete list, I will be happy to share more. There are so many good books out there on this subject that it is hard to write only a few.

6Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

Definitely share what you've got, 18thcenturydreamer! Always great to have more reading suggestions - no such thing as "too many".
Here's another from my bookshelf: Paul Revere and the World He Lived In by Esther Forbes. Mark Puls has written wonderful bios on Henry Knox and Samuel Adams. And Jeff Shaara's Rise to Rebellion is a fantastic novel on the years leading up to the war, at home and over seas.

7Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Half Moon

Half Moon

I haven't read any books set in the same time as The Dreamer...but I am writing a book that's about a vampire from Coloneal Williamsburg...I started it on my last trip there almost two years ago, and Nathan's in it too, so's Deborah Samson. If you go to the website on my profile there're excerpts from it if you want to read some of the book study

http://www.iwritelikekrazy.wordpress.com

8Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

Been a while since anything's been added, so here are some more (in case you're looking for some summer reading material):
Defiance of the Patriots: the Boston Tea Party & the Making of America by Benjamin L. Carp; provides the most global view of the tea trade and related politics I've ever read.
The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington by Paul Lockhart (new); pretty much just what the long subtitle says (thanks, long subtitle!). Engaging read, great characterizations, and even some humor. Look up the author on Facebook - he has photos of artifacts, being much admired by himself and Nathaniel Philbrick.

9Dreamer Readalikes Empty Re: Dreamer Readalikes Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:31 am

nessili

nessili

One of my favorites is Dawn's Early Light, by Elswyth Thane. Takes place in Williamsburg, and is very well done.

http://www.anuncivilizedyankee.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum