The Dreamer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A fan forum for all thing related to the webcomic The Dreamer by Lora Innes.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Empty Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Caera

Caera

So I mentioned this in the Characters topic but I wanted to make an official announcement of it here and on the DANHFC:

In my creative nonfiction course at uni, my last story of the semester is supposed to be a collage-i.e. I pull together multiple elements from different places and make a full story. I wanted to make my story about Nathan and his impact on our lives today, but in order to do that I need YOUR stories-like your memories of first learning about him, how many years you've been a fan, different events in your life where he played a role, what he means to you, etc.

But as this is a nonfiction piece, that means I also need your real names. I promise this story won't leave the classroom and my portfolio, unless you guys want it on DA to read-in which case I can change the names.

So if you're interested in being a part of the collage please feel free to PM me here or on DA.

Thanks all!
~Caera

http://Goodreads.com/cethornton

2Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Empty Nathan Hale Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 am

18thcenturydreamer

18thcenturydreamer

How I became interested in Nathan Hale is sort of a long and complicated story. But here it is ! I became interested in Nathan Hale when I became interested in the Revolutionary War. I was combing the library for books on the Revolutionary War, and I found a biography of Nathan Hale. I picked it up, checked it out, and took it home with me. I began to read it sometime that day and the next day. When I finished reading, I was astounded by his life. Nathan Hale had everything: Education, Money, Youth, and Family. Yet he gave all this away because he wanted to do something for his new country. He did not have to go and spy, but his new country needed him, and he wanted to serve. He knew the noose awaited him if he was caught, but he bravely chose to risk that possibility. He willingly gave his life and his future for the American Cause. This blew me away. Whenever I think of what he could have done in life if that noose did not claim his life, I get to the point of tears. What he did in his short life inspires me, and the story of his life and death is something that has stuck with me to this day, two years after I first began to read about Nathan Hale.
So, there you have it, the explanation of my infatuation with Nathan Hale. Smile

Amber Hammrich

Caera

Caera

How old were you when this occured? Very Happy

4Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Empty Age Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:03 pm

18thcenturydreamer

18thcenturydreamer

Caera wrote:How old were you when this occured? Very Happy
I was fourteen, about to turn fifteen.

Caera

Caera

Thanks!

FYI to everyone who submitted quotes-this is a 1200 word story, and my Prof insisted on "more Nathan!" so I'll probably be making two versions-the one for class and the "unabridged" which will utilize more of the quotes you gave me. So don't freak out if you read it and go "that's only half of what I said!" lol

Caera

Caera

Ok so I got my paper back and I got a 94. Yay! I am going to tweak a phrase or two to tidy it up this weekend, and if you guys want me to share I shall. I can't make promises on when I'll get to make the unabridged one but I'll let you know when that's done too.

Half Moon

Half Moon

Oooo! YAY! Congrats Caera!

http://www.iwritelikekrazy.wordpress.com

18thcenturydreamer

18thcenturydreamer

Huzzah Caera!!! I bet Nathan would have been proud! Very Happy

Caera

Caera

Ok so I never posted the collage, so here's the one I wrote for the class. lol I'll do the unabridged one at some point...I'm supposed to be job hunting right now (I'm actually revising and uploading my portfolio and this was in it so it isn't a far cry from my daily tasks)

---

A Hero’s Impact

I hate subways. I cannot breathe underground, terrified the train will break down and I’ll be buried alive. Nevertheless, I rode two hours, from one end of Manhattan to the other, to see a statue at City Hall. If I wasn’t courageous enough to take the subway to “meet” one of the bravest men in American history, I was hopeless.

In the end, a police officer had to take a picture of the statue for me as it stands past the security checkpoint. He had one question for me:

Who was Nathan Hale, anyway?

Hero: a person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for brave deeds and noble qualities.

Nathan Hale is the State Hero of Connecticut.

Where do you find a hero?

Libraries:

Lora Innes was 25, researching for a historical web comic about the Revolutionary War, The Dreamer.

“I began researching the roots of 18th century espionage and all the trails lead back to a young man named Nathan Hale…I became so fascinated in this young man's life, and the impact his death had on espionage for the rest of the war, that I reworked my series to include three volumes of story about him!”
Amber Hammic was 14, studying the American Revolution.
“I was combing the library for books on the Revolutionary War, and I found a biography of Nathan Hale. I picked it up, checked it out, and took it home with me…When I finished reading, I was astounded.”

The living room floor:

Meredith Morrison was 6.

"I learned about Nathan lying on the floor of my family room, drawing and watching Liberty's Kids with my Grandma. I looked up when I heard the word spy. I basically forgot about the drawing and finished watching the episode.”

I was 5, sitting on the floor of the living room, learning my letters. My mum and brother sat on the couch, reading through a history book. They read about a man who had been spying for George Washington but was caught and executed by the British. He was so brave in the face of an ignominious death even the British were impressed with him.

I looked up as they read. My first thought was: "This was a good guy who didn't win? And he wasn't scared?"

The Internet:

Liz Tolleson was 22 when she began to read The Dreamer:

“From the moment he appeared, I fell in love with him and when I found out he was a real person I started grabbing all the books and sites I could find on him.”

School:

According to a docent at the Nathan Hale Homestead, every year the greatest numbers of tourists who visit are from China, where they learn about Nathan in school.

Spy:a person employed by a government to obtain secret information or intelligence about another, usually hostile, country, especially with reference to military or naval affairs.

Before the days of James Bond, espionage was considered despicable, low, ignoble.

“I wish to be useful, and every kind of service, necessary to the public good, becomes honorable by being necessary.”-Nathan Hale

Hanging: form of capital punishment carried out by suspending one by the neck from a gallows, etc. until dead.

In the 18th century, death by hanging was reserved only for the lowest of the low in society: murderers, traitors, and spies.

Nathan Hale was born in Coventry, Connecticut in 1755. Raised as a gentleman and educated at Yale, he taught school before becoming a captain in the Continental Army.
Nathan was 21 when he volunteered to go behind enemy lines to retrieve information for Washington’s army, despite the danger and the shamefulness of the endeavor. He was captured by the British and hanged as a spy. Before his death, he reportedly gave a remarkable speech, preserved only in paraphrase in newspapers, journals and memories.

“I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.”-Nathan Hale

Nathan wanted to serve his country in whatever way possible. His mission as a spy failed but his mission to serve did not. Even now he serves. Today he is recognized for his courage, eloquence, and commitment, even when he could only have expected death, infamy, and eventually obscurity. Generations of Americans and even non-Americans have been inspired by his actions, and his last words.

Three locations in New York claim to be where Nathan died, one at city hall, one outside Grand Central, and one at 66th and 3rd.

Nathan regretted having but one life to lose for his country, yet he managed to die in three different places. I’m sure he appreciates the irony.

Impact: influence

The main character of the Resistance video games is named after Nathan Hale.

Meredith Morrison, 17:

“After I saw the episode, Nathan became one of my imaginary friends. He was the one that held my hand if I got scared when I was alone. I guess he kind of became my own personal symbol for bravery, and he helped me be strong.”

There are approximately 30 schools in the U.S. named after Nathan.

Amber Hammich, 17:

“Nathan Hale had everything: Education, Money, Youth, and Family. Yet he gave all this away because he wanted to do something for his new country. He did not have to go and spy, but he wanted to serve. He willingly gave his life and his future for the American Cause. This blew me away. What he did in his short life inspires me, and the story of his life and death is something that has stuck with me to this day.”

George Dudley Seymour, an admirer of Nathan Hale, located the homestead where he grew up, and helped make it a landmark.

Liz Tolleson, 24:

“Every day he means something to me, in that every day since finding out his real story, I've tried to emulate him by being more kind and noble, I think, I try to be the kind of person he'd be proud of.”

True Crime author and historian M. William Phelps grew up hearing about Nathan, publishing his biography in 2008.

Lora Innes, 30:

“Nathan Hale…changed the course of my life, literally. He's such a rich subject that he and the other members of Knowlton's Rangers gave me a story to tell... which has lead to being published, winning awards, and starting my career…I’m proud to say also that my story has helped bring Nathan's life back into focus, and introduce him to a whole new generation of young people who other wise would not have cared.

Now 22, I officially ‘outlived’ Nathan by the time I attended a symposium about him in Coventry last August.

We went on a tour of the Homestead, and the docent brought out his Bible for us to look at. I pulled on gloves to handle the aged, fragile book, reading Nathan’s lovely, faded handwriting.

Through a small hole in the glove, the sharp edge of the paper grazed my fingertip as I turned the pages. To think Nathan once turned these very leaves himself! Nothing but time separated our worlds in that instant. And I loved him across that time.

Everyone needs a hero like Nathan Hale.

10Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Empty Re: Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:34 am

DawnChorus

DawnChorus

Wow, Caera! That's fantastic!

11Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Empty Re: Nathan fan needs help of Nathan fans! Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Caera

Caera

I'm glad you like it. Smile I converted all my classmates into Nathan Hale fans. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum